The Sumimura Family (墨村の家族) (or Clan) is one of two legitimate families created by Tokimori Hazama to succeed the Hazama-Ryu Kekkai technique because he had no Heirs of his own. Sumimura Kekkaishi tend to be powerhouses, and often employ strategies that either overwhelm enemies with sheer force, or outlast them in battles of attrition.
Known Legitimate Heirs
- Shigemori Sumimura
- Sumiko Sumimura
- Shuji Sumimura (Married into family)
- Masamori Sumimura
- Yoshimori Sumimura
- Toshimori Sumimura
- Madarao - Demon Wolf in service to the Sumimura Family (Hunting)
- Shimano - Demon Cat in service to the Sumimura Family (Training)
- Tokimori Hazama - Founder of the Hazama-Ryu Kekkaijutsu
- Night Troop
- Chushinmaru Karasumori
- Lord Uro and Mamezo
- Yumeko Hananokoji
- Heisuke Matsudo
- Takeshi Kongo
- Karasutengu of Aibasan
- The word Sumimura is a combination of "sumi" meaning settled (or arranged) and "mura" meaning village.
- It is implied that the sons of the Sumimura family are named after Tokimori Hazama; all of them have "mori" at the end of their given names.
- The Sumimura shakujo has a flame design at the tip.
- In the anime, Kekkai created by Sumimuras are blue in color.